I made it! My Kalaloch Pullover is ready and I’m really happy with how it turned out. I wasn’t sure till the very end if it would really fit me, with its funny short sleeves (just look above) and its wide circular yoke – it’s only at the end when the decreases are really made (it’s knitted bottom up) and suddenly the yoke starts looking like it should. But even with all those doubts I persisted and now I have this awesome loose fitting sweater that I’m going to wear as soon as autumn starts (which means soon!).
I decided to use the leftovers from my Sweet as Honey cardi to knit the sections of garter stitch between the lacy panels. Initially I’d considered knitting the panels themselves with this yarn, but I wasn’t sure if I had enough of it left. I like how it turned out and I think the brown stripes make the lace panels pop more.
Speaking of the panels, that was a chance for me to learn three new, simple but interesting and pretty stitches called (at least in the pattern) the shell lace, the diagonal lace and the vertical shell. Just have a look – aren’t they awesome? I love how three-dimensional and textured they feel and look.
My pullover is a little less oversized that the one on the photo in the Interweave Knits magazine, but I think it’s the best match for me – the next size up would be just too big even for an oversized sweater.
The design, apart from the slightly more complicated lacy stitches, is very simple and straightforward and the only “shaping” is a section of short rows at the lower back, to make the back slightly longer than the front. Other that that it’s just simple knitting in the round.
The red yarn I used for it is Ice Yarns merino with some acrylic content. It was nice to knit with, now we’ll see how it wears – I hope there won’t be to much pilling, but even if there is, I’m prepared with my old and tested wool shaver that I brought with me from Poland 😉